Thursday 31 July 2014

Go Green with Eco Friendly totes

Swayamindia Bags
I never took "Being Green” concept seriously although heard about global warming problems and related stuff many times in news.  Still, who has the time to make extra efforts for saving the planet when our own lives are already in big chaos? It was all same for me and less bothered about what’s happening outside until a clerk at my nearby grocery shop offered me a choice between plastic and paper bag? At that point I realized there is something really serious that I am missing and came back with all curiosity to find out how one bag can make a difference?

And the facts I came to know thereafter through the internet were lightning bolts that I would like to share with all.

  • Plastic bags we use for supermarkets are killing thousands of marine animals annually apart from fouling the landscape. They take around 1000 years to decompose and during this period they break down into tiny toxic components which further contaminate soil and water. Most importantly, gallons of oil required for the production of these bags could be used as fuel.

  • Paper bags considered as better alternatives by many again have a different set of environmental problems. Millions of trees are cut down just for making papers that we waste just like that. Energy required for producing them is approx four times more than the plastic bags and its’ recycling require fuel even more than this. Further, they produce more solid waste and don’t degrade faster.
These factors left me with one big question-which one is apt to use? While searching for an answer, I came across the term-“Reusable bags”. Experts say, “Over a lifetime usage of reusable bags by an individual can save around 22,000 bags”. Now, it’s really a big impact that anyone can make in making the planet green. They are much stronger, resilient whenever we need them, degradable and non toxic once thrown away. Materials such as cotton or jute are usually used in producing these kinds of totes.


Eco Friendly Bags
Interestingly, when I searched for reusable bags, I was amazed to see the variety that popped up. They are not just friendly to environment but quite fancy in looks too. Oh yes! Shopping to a grocery market or even a mall could be more happening with my newly found colorful totes. I chose “Glam “Fashion Shopping bag from Swayam India since it looks pretty much trendy yet reasonable in price. Trust me; carrying it gives an amazing feeling of proud and contentment.

So, start reusing and repurposing before everything gets disappear.

No comments: